The Colony’s jack of all trades – Anchal Amin

Ethan Bezich

Being a high school student is a rollercoaster-like, coming-of-age experience that many teens experience differently. Some pursue credits to get a head start in college, others hope to gain popularity and large amounts fall in the middle of the spectrum. 

One student, however, has taken the high school experience by its reins and aims to explore all aspects of secondary school rather than staying on one path.

Senior Anchal Amin has an extensive background in their high school career alone. Between being a Student Council officer of public relations, a head drum major, participating in orchestra, NHS, NSHS. and consistently working a part-time job and volunteering, Amin has not only taken up the aforementioned duties, but has excelled in hard-working fashion.

To the average person, this sounds practically impossible to manage, but to Amin, this is just a way of life. 

“Everything I do, I love doing. I enjoy it, not just for myself, but for the people around me,” Amin said. “The roles that I have and the organizations I’m in help make a difference.” 

Amin has a decorated history of accomplishments. Her service and initiative has inspired everyone around her.

“Even though she didn’t really have a title, she would seem like a natural leader.” Head Band Director, Michael Larkin said.

Amin’s most recognized slate of work is being appointed as drum major her junior year and then ascending higher to head drum major at the start of her senior year. Her diligence in the band program transformed her from a clarinetist to a leader. 

“She came to us sort of as a normal student not sticking out yet, until her sophomore year, when she really started to shine,” Larkin said.  “She [now] serves as a voice for the students to the directors. One of the things she’s been doing is bringing information from other students as a representative of the program.”

Amin quickly grew within the band program and became a leader. Larkin said that Amin spent a lot of personal time helping other students in the program and would even stay after on football game days to help organize the band hall and ensure other students had rides home.

“She would always help without being asked to,” Larkin said. “There were things that needed to be done, and she did that.”

Part of Amin’s journey to standing out came after the COVID-19 pandemic. With everything being restricted, opportunities for student involvement lacked. Missing out on clubs, Honor Society and more extracurriculars showcased that she wanted to be involved in more, and not only for herself. 

“It wasn’t enough. I knew I could do more to help the school.” Amin said. “I wanted to help not just the students, but also the teachers.” 

Selflessness and compassion is a staple in Amin’s lifestyle. While she sacrifices numerous hours for her organizations on campus, she spends a lot of time balancing volunteer work and a part-time job outside of school.

“I don’t really count the hours because I like being in everything, so it doesn’t really matter how long I’m there for.” Amin said.

Additionally, Student Council has been a constant since stepping on campus for Amin.Student Council Sponsor Jamie McCarty said her enthusiasm and positivity have elevated her from a mere member of Student Council to operating numerous important roles across the organization. 

“She’s a go-getter,” McCarty said. “She’s always involved in more than one thing at a time; she’s [always] got her hands full, but she handles it well.” 

Through the years, Amin has held positions such as officer for the junior class, public relations officer and now, in her senior year, a senior public relations officer.
While constantly being on a time pinch, Amin said maintaining relationships outside of classes is difficult, but finding moments such as rides to football games, facetiming and texting, or talking while running errands have kept her socially afloat. 

And moreover, Amin’s unbreakable, familial bond has paved the way for several shared interests and hobbies.

One unifying source of joy between Amin and her father is Formula 1 racing, so much so that she has had her eye on the same sport since childhood and eventually wants to pursue it as a career.

“Formula One was always my favorite as a kid,” Amin said, “Even through my phases of ‘I wanna do X-Y-Z when I grow up,’ being a mechanic for Formula One was always something that was there.”
Amin’s dreams sparked her strive for greatness, and each day she is closer to accomplishing her lifelong goal.

“I want to work in Formula One, which is a motorsport, and it’s hard to get into but it is also very rewarding.” She said. 

With her final year of high school well underway, Amin’s focus is slowly shifting to university, where she will study engineering for motorsports.

After hearing and taking inspiration  from a previous teacher at The Colony High school, Jim Robarge, Amin is interested in Purdue University for several reasons, including a chance to explore new territory. 

Amin added, “I feel like it gives me a good opportunity to branch out from the town that we’ve grown up in while also helping me achieve my goals and passions, and staying rooted to the person I know I am.” 

Amin’s resolve and leadership have opened the opportunity for a bright future, and solidified her as part of The Colony High school’s helpful culture. While being remembered is another motivation, her impact will be hard to forget.