New Program Focused on Student Needs

Communities In Schools (CIS) is a new program on campus this school year. This organization aims to provide drop-out prevention and to help students succeed in school academically and with social emotional support.  

“A lot of society focuses on school as in order to succeed you have to go to college and have good grades,” Pence said. “What really is the game changer is the relationships you create, the foundation of CIS focuses on giving the students that safe person to depend on.” 

Counselor, Donna Jordan, is excited the program has come to our campus this year coming with extra support for not only the students, but also for the counseling department. 

“We are very excited to have the program this year on our campus since it is a non-profit program,” Jordan said. “Not many schools have this privilege, so being that it is on our campus we feel like it’s another way that our students can really be supported, although students need permission from parents from what we have learned families are very excited and want their students to be involved.” 

CIS helps with more than academic support for the students it also focuses on basic needs like food and clothes. 

“From our counselor’s perspective it’s like having another support system,” Jordan said. “For example, students who are food insufficient like needing extra support at home with food or clothes. Ms. Pence will help with things such as Angel Tree and Thanksgiving baskets for the holidays later this year.”

Pence is ready to be a part of the community on campus, and to meet the needs of students. 

“I’m really excited about bringing CIS here at The Colony and being a part of that,” Pence said. “To be this extra support for students whether that be through snacks, having someone to talk to, laugh with- who listens, as well as having someone be their cheerleader and advocate.”

CIS is focused on ensuring that students have the tools and resources they need to be successful, as well as someone in their corner. 

“Having an adult who cared about me, listened to me, and encouraged me in high school was life changing for me, and I can’t wait to be that someone for the students here,” Pence said.