Back to School Bash Hosted by StuCo

Freshman+Atarah+Dorsett+runs+from+a+water+balloon+at+the+event.+

photo by Alondra Navarro

Freshman Atarah Dorsett runs from a water balloon at the event.

Student council hosts a “Back to School Bash” to bring students  together, and introduce them to the student council organization. The event featured water balloons, and water games after a presentation about student council. 

Student council teacher Jamie McCarty wanted to host something to start off the school year as well as an opportunity to show what student council is all about.

“We tried to give the kids a fun activity to do at the beginning of the year,” McCarty said. “Maybe they’ll be interested in joining.”

Student council senior Mia Whisonant, believes this was a great start to activities after having none due to Covid last year.

“This really brought students together again especially after Covid, seeing that we didn’t have anything last year,” Whisonant said. “It was a good way to reconnect.”

Another student council member, Jusedes Gutierrez, thinks this event helped a lot of students in many ways.

“It was motivating to see how students were able to get out of their shell by something we did,” Gutierrez said. “Some students met new friends and it gave them a chance to be around other people and express themselves.”

Student council plans on more events with more than ice cream and water balloon fights to bring everyone together to have fun.

“It made me feel really involved and it brought me joy seeing people get out of their comfort zones,” Guiterrez said.