CIS Ribbon Cutting in PAC

CIS+hosted+a+ribbon+cutting+in+the+PAC+Oct.+19+to+celebrate+the+new+program+offered+on+select+LISD+campuses.+

Mirian Bruno

CIS hosted a ribbon cutting in the PAC Oct. 19 to celebrate the new program offered on select LISD campuses.

Communities in schools (CIS) hosted a ribbon cutting on Tuesday morning Oct. 19 in the PAC. The ribbon cutting was for a celebration for the new program being adopted. 

CIS will now be offered at not only The Colony High School, but also at Griffin Middle School, Lakeview Middle School, Ethridge Elementary, and Camey Elementary.

Traditional Site Coordinator Mallory Pence is the CIS coordinator on campus. 

“A goal for the future is just being an extra support to this school and students in general and being the number one advocate and supporting students in whatever way I can,” Pence said. 

Pence will support students in both academic or mental health, depending on student needs. She plans on doing check ups with grades or emotional support, and helping students to succeed. 

“It can arrange anything from academic support, so that can be checking up on grades, like hey how are classes going, signing them up for tutoring, making sure they sign up for cougar help,”  Pence said. “Just being that extra accountable person can also be other things like behaviorally or mental health if they just need someone to talk to.”

TCHS got chosen to be part of the CIS program because of a partnership with LISD. Principal Dr. Tim Baxter is excited to have CIS on campus this year. 

“Having CIS on the campus really makes a difference in the lives of student, it creates a way for students to have their needs met and to really fulfill their dreams,” Baxter said 

CIS gives a continuity of services to students who need extra support, it will empower students to have successful lives for the future. 

“I think that it will create an opportunity for students who have needs and to be able to have those needs met,” Baxter said. “It will also create an opportunity for them to improve in their academics and then also a way for them to set goals for their life and to really see their goals come true.” 

The benefits CIS will bring to this school will be provide extra support and other necessary services for students. 

“As a school, anytime our students’ needs are being met, that means the school can have their needs met, so the school as a whole will benefit,” Baxter said.