Percussionist Makes Texas All State Band

Senior+Dylan+White+made+it+to+the+Texas+All+State+Band+after+qualifying+at+Area.+

Lesly Carballo

Senior Dylan White made it to the Texas All State Band after qualifying at Area.

Senior Dylan White qualified for the Texas All State band in percussion after competing at the Area Competition on Jan. 8. He was anxious going into the audition. 

“I was super nervous during the audition, I met some new people that I’ve never met before and I was with someone that I knew so it was pretty fun to see new people,” White said. “[Making it to state] was definitely the end goal.”

He competed against eight students and the competition only took top four. White finished in third place.

Band director Michael Larkin says this competition is very difficult. He says this is the first student to make it to the All State band in percussion in all six of his years here. 

The Texas all-state band is the hardest to get into in the entire country,”Larkin said. “Students that are in the all-state band are the high caliber high school musicians in the entire country.”

Dylan has been playing percussion since sixth grade, he says that making it to the Texas All State band is a dream come true. Now, he will perform with the Texas All State ensemble 5A Symphonic Band. 

“Both of my parents are so proud of me,” White said. 

He has trained under Band Director Michael Larkin and percussion director James Hopkins while at TCHS.

“I am very proud of Dylan,” Larkin said. He has worked very hard to get where he is and he deserves every bit of recognition.”