Varsity Boys Soccer Season Starting Strong

Sophomore+Sean+Pena+drives+the+ball+down+the+field+at+the+game+against+Diamond+Hill-Jarvis+on+Jan.+18.+

Sophomore Sean Pena drives the ball down the field at the game against Diamond Hill-Jarvis on Jan. 18.

The Cougar Varsity Boys Soccer team season has started their season with lots of success. On Jan. 7, the team defeated Dumas High School, by two points, which finished the game off with a 2-4 on the scoreboard.

The captain of the team Edwin Lopez, a junior on the varsity soccer team, won the title of “Player in the game” on Jan. 6.  Sophomore Hugo Castillon won the “Player of the game” on Jan. 7. 

The team also won 4-2 against Ryan High School Jan. 11. Coach Weddall is very grateful and proud of his team and how things are going with the team and games. He is very excited for their next game. 

“A mind should be mindful, that the ingredients of success are one ounce of information to one ton of practice,” Weddall said. “All of my players work hard and I appreciate their hard work so much.”

Player Edwin Lopez scored the winning goal on Friday Jan. 14. He is also very passionate about soccer. 

“I hope soccer helps me out in the future with college,” he said. 

Edwin is also a football player. He says he’s not sure what he wants to do in the future but hopes to be successful. 

On Jan. 18, the junior varsity team won 2-0 and varsity was tied 1-1 against Diamond Hill-Jarris, a team that has made multiple appearances at state. 

“It’s an accomplishment for the Colony High School to be so close to beating such a good school,” Weddall said. “Our team could have made it but unfortunately we were tied 1-1.” “I’m proud of my team for all of their hard work.”